Check out our updated Guide to the Building Permit Process Here!
The City of Martinsburg Planning Department also serves to protect the health and safety of our community by providing trained and certified Building Inspectors to implement the West Virginia State Building Code that has been adopted by the City.
Major duties that are part of this mission inlcude plan reviews, issuance of permits and providing inspections.
When is a permit required? Section 105 of the International Building Code states:
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
A general Building Permit is issued for structural, electrical, plumbing and/or mechanical work, both residential and commercial. There are also specific permits for fences, sheds, signs and sidewalks.
Any work not requiring a building permit performed by a contractor or individual other than the property owner and in exchange for any type of compensation, will require a Work Registration Form. These are issued at no charge from the Building Inspectors' office, which is located in the City of Martinsburg Planning Department.
The City of Martinsburg Planning Department recommends contacting a Building Inspector with any questions regarding project and permit requirements at (304) 264-2131, or visit our FAQ's page.
* Applications may be filled out online and emailed to email@example.com or printed and mailed or hand delivered to the Planning Department. If applications are emailed, the applicant will be required to sign the application before picking up the permit.
- Commercial Building Permit Application
- Commercial/Residential Use and Occupancy Application
- Residential Building Permit Application
- Agreement for Fences Constructed Within an Easement
- Demolition Specifications
- Fence Permit Application
- General Regulations for Fences
- Permit Plans Submittal Requirements Checklist
- Satellite Dish Ordinance
- Satellite Dish Registration Form
- Sidewalk Loan Program
- Sidewalk Permit Application
- Sidewalk Replacement Guidelines
- Shed Permit Application
- Sign Permit Application